Bushfoot Golf Club came into existence 128 years ago in 1890 although it is probable that people played on the links prior to that date. Since then the Club has
grown in area, its membership has increased and its general development and ethos have mirrored the times in which it has existed. The original course occupied the area bounded by the River Bush, the Causeway Tramline and the right of way lane running from
behind the ladies 10th tee to the back of the 7th green. The course area was subsequently increased by the acquisition of Curries field (the pitch and putt course approximately) and later by the ground to the east of the tramline. The Club has progressed from
tenancy to ownership of the land. Clubhouses have changed from a removable wooden shelter located to the side of the 7th green through a series of buildings to our present structure with its multiple functions.
The membership of the Club has grown; it had 14 members in 1890 compared to the present membership of around 860. The cost of membership has also changed from 10/- in 1890 to over £230 in 2001. The amenities available at the two years just stated
do not stand up to comparison. The first paid staff in the Club was a greenkeeper — just that and he was paid by the day to cut greens only. Sheep were responsible for clipping the fairways. Today we depend on numerous employees with modern technology
to maintain the course and the functions of a modern golf club.
Bushfoot has provided golf for over 100 years in surroundings which are as pleasant as any in the country. It has provided challenges as well as enjoyment to a wide spectrum of people over
the years. The hope is that it continues to give pleasure to all its members and visitors in the future.